Researching and finding competitors is important in creating an effective marketing strategy. With competitive research, you can come up with a way to separate your brand and from your competitors. Whatever business or service you are providing, in one way or another, there is going to be stiff competition. Never fear! We’re going to discuss ways to find your competitors’ websites, how to find competitors’ keywords, and generally, how to find competitors.
How to Find My Competitors’ Websites
The first step of how to search for competitors is to differentiate between direct and indirect competition. When working on a marketing strategy, it’s important to acknowledge that you have direct and indirect competitors so you can be able to find competitors for free.
- Direct competition: These are the brands that sell or offer the same products and services as you. Customers compare products from you and your competitors before coming up with a choice to purchase.
- Indirect competition: This is the competition that you get by sharing key words with the other brands that use the same keywords to compete for consumer attention. This competition does not necessarily involve brands that produce the same type of products.
(Image credit: Sherpa Blog)
Competitor Keyword Research
This is the main way to search for how your competitors are doing online. Keywords to focus on are words that perform well in the search results by your competitors, and also ones that are not performing well but are considered important by those same competitors. These types of words are important in guiding your search engine optimization keyword strategy. You can find your competitors’ keywords and see how they’re ranking in the My Competitors tab on your dashboard.
Before you can choose any tool to help you in keyword research to find a competitor website, you need to come up with a list that consists of keywords that you consider to be important to you.
In case you are using search engine optimization platforms to find competitor websites, the technology can assist you in finding the competitors using insights and data. The technology can help you to identify keywords that your customer sees important or even words that you should be using to improve your website in the search results. This is very important, especially when looking for indirect competitors.
Competitive keywords are important to find your competitor’s website because:
- You can use the same keywords for you to compete in the rankings that use the same search results.
- You can come up with many more words that your target audience uses that you had not thought of before.
- You can come up with words that your competitor has not yet used to rank higher in the search results index.
- You find out why the competitor has an edge over you in terms of rank because of the keywords they use in broader search results.
These are some of the ways of how to search for competitors’ communication and websites.
Test your SEO in 60 seconds!
Diib is one of the best SEO tools in the world. Diib uses the power of big data to help you quickly and easily increase your traffic and rankings. We’ll even let you know if you already deserve to rank higher for certain keywords.
- Easy-to-use automated SEO tool
- Keyword and backlink monitoring + ideas
- Speed, security, + Core Vitals tracking
- Intelligently suggests ideas to improve SEO
- Over 500,000k global members
- Built-in benchmarking and competitor analysis
Used by over 500k companies and organizations:
Every business comes with competitors. If you are someone who owns a business, you have to ask yourself a few questions about how your competitor has an edge over you or how you are performing over them. You also have to consider why they have a higher engagement compared to yours. You do this by tracking and analyzing what your competitors are doing. You learn how to outsmart them by studying their marketing patterns.
Using paid tools, you have to subscribe or pay for the services that the tools offer you. Depending on the nature of your business and the amount of work you need to do, the prices vary. It is important to research the platforms you need to work with before settling on one. Research helps you come up with a platform that works precisely for you and gets the job done for the best price while still getting the best and accurate results.
Competitor analysis tools are used to analyze and assist you in learning your competitor strategies. The information you get from these tools is important for you while you are creating your marketing campaigns and running your ideas.
There are several competitor analysis tools that are used by top marketing gurus in the industry, including Diib’s own My Competitors function.
Before picking a competitor analysis tool, you have to ask yourself what competitor analysis is and why you should do competitor analysis.
Competitor analysis is paramount when it comes to finding my competitors website and consists of evaluation and identification of competitors. Identify what they do to strengthen their businesses and what their weaknesses are. With this information, you can come up with the proper marketing strategies to elevate you above your competitors.
You Might Also Like
You should do competitor analysis to learn about their strengths and help you identify areas they are weak at. You should use the loopholes as a way to strengthen your brand as a competitive edge against the other competitors.
Most of the paid tools use keywords to identify competitors. The following are some of the paid tools used by marketers to analyze and identify competitors in the market. These tools use different methods to help you study your competitors:
- Quick search
This is a website where you key in the URL of your company and it identifies similar websites or your competitors. This website has a free version or a subscription service. For the free version, you get 10 results after your key on your website. A good way to use this tool efficiently is to also key in the websites of the competitors and find more results from other competitors. You can easily generate more insights into competitor information to help you come up with functional solutions to your marketing strategy.
You can also do competitor analysis using tools that check industry, ads, and emails.
Competitor analysis, through emails, is one of the slowest and hardest ways of conducting competitor analysis. Using tools like mailcharts you can easily track what the competitor is advertising or the communication they are sharing through emails to their clients. Most of the time, this is done by analyzing the type of keywords and the frequency they are used on the emails. If the competitor is running a business campaign you can compare two of your campaigns by ensuring you keep up with the email marketing.
You are also able to view their paid advertisements on different websites that enable ads using such tools. Using a tool like mailcharts also helps you grow inspiration by reading and learning from sample email advertising content from the website. Most of the sample emails are generated from some of the greatest marketing campaigns and strategies in various markets.
This is one of the most efficient tools used online to identify your competitors through keywords and emails. For emails, this tool collects all the emails from competitors and organizes them into a simpler and easy to comprehend dashboard. The data and information is collected using screenshots. Any changes in the competitors’ email trends and frequencies are highlighted. You can use this information to assist you in the language and keywords you need to target your audience and advice on the best time to send out marketing emails.
This tool enables you to target more efficiently and create a competitive edge against your competitor by studying their patterns. Using this tool, you can easily learn about your competitors’ email strategies. This way you can study the pattern and this improves your success in your marketing campaigns. By using this tool you can keep a record of the emails that your competitor has performed best with and borrow a leaf in your strategies. However, this tool needs a lot of patience to work with for you to get the best results.
This is one of the most popular competitor analysis tools in the market. This tool mainly walks you through finding relevant topics around the content that you are working on. By using Buzzsumo you can find the important topics that you need to cover in your marketing campaigns and strategies. This tool analyzes topics that your competitor has covered and hence you can come up with better content or improved content as compared to that of your competitor.
This tool is also very efficient when you are looking for the content shared on social media by your competitors that relates to your product through keywords or any other similarities. By seeing the content being shared on the social media platforms you can come up with a strategy on when to share your content and the language you can use to improve the content you are sharing for it to relate with their target audiences.
If you have a topic that you would like to exploit for your marketing, you can use this tool to find out who is using the same topic and improve your overall communication around it. This is an ideal platform to use if you are looking to maximize the information that competitors are using to create content as a form of competitor analysis.
(Image credit: Medium)
This is an ideal competitor analysis tool if you are looking to see where you are placed in terms of competition using search results. By ranking your position, you can see who your competitors are and how they are faring in terms of performance using search results. Using this tool, you can easily come up with ways to improve your marketing strategies and campaigns as well as search engine optimization for your general performance in search results.
Information you generate from this tool helps you work around the comparative matrix that is used in boosting and improving your search engine results. This way, you can target your audience and consumers while still creating strategic content that will boost your analytics. It is also very easy to study your competitors and come up with ways to outrank them in the search results. You can either use this tool for free with limited analytic tools or pay for the Moz pay plans that are between $100 and $600.
Find Competitors’ Keywords for Free
There are several ways you can find competitive keywords for free.
- Google search. One of the easiest ways to find your competitors is using the Google search option. You can key in the name of the service or product you provide and the city where your company is rated and see the results that come on the first and second pages. The results that you get will have the best-ranked websites and companies that are in your area of expertise. This includes websites that have been promoted into the advertisement section on the first page. These are some of the websites that either ranked above you or are directly competing with you for keywords and target audiences. This is primarily used as the initial search for competitors before doing in-depth research and analysis to find the correct analytics. Here is an example:
- Using the HTML source on the competitor’s website. If you right click on your competitor’s website page you can find the page source. The source is displayed using a HTML source code of the exact page. In the code, you can find the keywords that the website used using the title tag or the keywords tag. Sometimes, the websites are not made using the keyword tags. However, it is always advisable to look whether the competitor has used them.
- Google keyword planner. This is a free tool used to search for keywords. The only thing that you are required to have is the Google account to access the tool. The tool uses the Google Ad Words interface. This is where you can easily find the keywords by locating them using the “new keywords” tab. You can input the specific keywords or phrases that you might need to search after you have keyed in the competitors landing page URL. Google then takes a little time navigating the website and searching for any words related to your keywords on the specific website. The result of the search is a graph that shows the number of times that the specific keywords have been used on the competitor’s website.
- Semrush. Semrush is one of the most resourceful websites that is used to search keywords and rank competitors using any domain. It is a very simple tool to use since you only need to input your competitor’s website and Semrush will provide information on the competitor. By using Semrush tracker, you can easily find out what type of content is working for your competitor. This way, you can analyze what you can pick from that and what you do not need while creating your marketing strategy.
- Use of social media: You can search for competitive keywords on specific social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest. These websites are ideal because they can assist you in viewing the competitive space that you are in. Most of the time, you end up finding out about new competitors that you never knew about. In other times, you can come up with new keywords to use to improve your website’s ranking in the search results.
Social media is important when finding your competitors because almost everyone uses the internet for social media purposes. As a result, brands have migrated to social media as a primary channel for marketing. Finding these words is not hard because these searches have been done all over the internet. Other times, there are social media tools that people pay to get analytics on the performance of competitors and what they are doing right to stay ahead. These platforms are paid for on a subscription basis. Facebook also comes with its analytics tool. Using the Facebook audience insights you can identify the competitors and also keep track of their performance. You can keep up with their follower growth and the response that they get from customers by accessing the insights tab on the Facebook page.
Diib offers detailed social media analytics and insights into your key competitors. That page looks something like this:
We hope that you found this article useful.
If you want to know more interesting about your site health, get personal recommendations and alerts, scan your website by Diib. It only takes 60 seconds.
Find Competitors on Google
You can also find competitors free of charge using the related search option on Google. This is one of the most underrated ways that you can use to find the competitors’ websites. You can use this tool by inputting your website URL on the related search option. The results of this search are going to be the top websites that are related to your website. This is one of the cheapest ways and the easiest resource to find that helps you access websites that are similar to yours. It is important to use such a tool before going into the sophistication of the subscription type tools that give you more insights and analytics. By using this tool, you can generate more keywords to search when you decide to narrow down your search to keywords using subscription tools.
These are some of the ways that will answer your questions like: how to find my competitors website, how to search for competitors, how to find competitors and find competitors’ keywords free.
Diib: Find and Analyze Your Competitor Strategies
The use of these tools enables you to strategically improve your communication and targeting by outsmarting your competitors. However, with the Diib® competitor analytics tool, you can easily gauge your success against that of your top 5 competitors, find keywords they rank for and out rank them, and learn their backlinking strategies. Ingenious. Here are some of the features of the Diib dashboard you’ll quickly love:
- Customized Objectives give you simple tasks designed to optimize your website
- Alerts that tell you about your Domain Authority other technical SEO issues
- Bounce rate monitoring
- Post performance
- Broken pages where you have backlinks (404 checker)
- Competitor keyword, backlink, and indexing monitoring and tracking tools, as well as for your own site.
- User experience and mobile speed optimization
Call or text 877-606-2070 to speak to a Sr. SEO Advisor or click here for your free 60 second website scan.